Design Director, Sydney
We are looking for an established Design Director to help lead and inspire our growing Sydney studio.
A group of designers, writers, developers, animators, directors, producers, and strategists across Melbourne and Sydney. Our clients include the most interesting businesses in Australia (and beyond), both corporate and cultural, big and small, yet our culture is more in line with that of a small-scale studio – tight-knit, cross-functional and non-hierarchical.
MAUD fosters an environment where each team member is valued for their input, where ambition and initiative are encouraged. Therefore, the scope outlined below should be seen as an indication of base expectations for the specified role.
Duties & Responsibilities
- You will be responsible for leading the design team, working alongside other members of the leadership group under the Executive Creative Director.
- You will, in this hands-on role, be expected to actively participate in the doing, and directing aspects of the design process.
- You will help define the creative direction of MAUD projects, ensuring that all design outputs are of the highest quality, establishing and maintaining a standard for the design team to follow.
- You will work closely with clients from shaping the brief, presenting work and delivering successful outcomes aligned with their business objectives so that they feel complete confidence in your creative, and strategic abilities.
- You will share your experience and design approach with the broader team, acting as a mentor and coach.
- You will embrace diverse project briefs for small and large scale clients across a range of sectors from corporate to cultural.
- You will participate in industry-related events, acting as a lead creative voice and MAUD representative.
- You will work collaboratively with designers and strategists to implement strategic thinking.
- You have experience in a similar role at a highly respected studio, or to be in a position where you are ready for the step up to a Design Director level (8+ years industry experience).
- You have broad multidisciplinary experience in print, digital and environmental design. You are used to directing a team of specialists and working collaboratively with account managers, producers and strategists.
- You have experience in delivering large-scale brand creation or re-branding projects.
- You have experience in presenting compelling creative to clients at all levels, articulating complex ideas and strategy with clarity and confidence.
- You must be assertive and confident, willing to express a strong point of view but also respectful of the opinions of others, regardless of their position.
- You must be relentlessly positive and open, unafraid to push boundaries and embrace challenges.
- You must be a leader, helping to shape the studio culturally and creatively.
- You must be passionate about visual identity design, and driven by the opportunity to work at scale on projects with enduring impact on our visual culture.
Competitive salary based on experience.
Applicants should forward their CV and work examples to email@example.com
MAUD is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. You will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age.